As a student you may not always have money to splurge on an expensive meal. Here is a list of meals that you can get for under R25 on campus.
1. Kara Nicha’s has always had affordable Indian food, which is why you can get a Biryani tub with a dhal, chutney and Cooee for only R11.00 at the matrix.
2. Fight the cold this winter with warm and fresh pies from Theo’s, priced at R16.90 in senate house. Available flavours include sausage, cornish, mutton curry and spare ribs to name a few.
3. Located at the matrix, Students Corner provides a combination and weight based meals that you can get for under R25.00. For example, you can get a piece of chicken (which costs R7 per 100g) with a side of rice (R4.67) or a plain dumpling (R6.36).
4. Sizzlers also have a couple of meals for under R25.00 at the matrix and on west campus. You can get pap and fillet for R22.00, a hotdog for R18.00 and a polony sandwich for R21.00. Available in mild, hot and for the very brave, extra hot.
5. The Chinese Lantern has a variety of noodles that you can get for R22.00 at the matrix. Portions are large enough to share between two and some of the choices available are pork, chicken, beef vegetable and calamari.
6. If you feel like having some braai meat you can get a Russian and Mini Chips for R18.00 as well as Chesa Wors and Chesa Maize Fries for the same price at Chesa Nyama at the matrix.
7. The Zesti Lemonz, on route to west campus, has some of the best pizza on campus. You can get chicken and mushroom, margarita and mexican slices for R23.00. It may seem like a bit much but they are larger than regular slices so you get a big bite for your money.
8. If you feel as if you have a little more money to splurge then why not get a meal from Olives and Plates at the Wits Arts Museum (WAM)? They change their menu daily but an sample plate of what is on offer includes gourmet meatball, coucous and some lemon potatoes. Just remember they do it by weight and to keep it below R25 you will have to opt for a small portion.