Sibusiso Vilakazi began his first day of training with his new team on Monday, after concluding a deal to join the Mamelodi Sundowns

Mamelodi Sundowns have finally sealed the deal to acquire attacking midfielder Sibusiso Vilakazi from Bidvest Wits.

The move was formally announced on Monday with Sundowns president Patrice Motsepe expressing his excitement in a press release.

“We are excited to welcome Sibusiso Vilakazi to the Mamelodi Sundowns family. We have been monitoring him for quite some time and I am confident that he will make a huge contribution to the growth and success of Sundowns,” said Motsepe.

Two Sundowns attacking players Mogakolodi Ngele and Cuthbert Malajila will join Bidvest Wits as part of the deal in addition to his transfer fee. Bidwest’s coach Gavin Hunt told The Citizen that he was sad to see a player leave, but was excited with the addition of Ngele and Malajila to the team.

“Now our attack looks very strong,” said Hunt.

The move comes after much speculation about the player’s fate on the football pitch following rumours that he no longer wished to stay with the Bidvest team. The 2015/2016 season saw Vilakazi alternating on the front line with the likes of Henrico Botes, James Keene and Papy Faty. His constant inclusion halfway through the season seemed to have been a response to public pressure.

Last month Kaizer Chiefs football manager Bobby Motaung reported to City Press that their offer had been turned down when Bidvest told them an unidentified club had offered them R11 mil and a striker for Vilakazi, but this deal was never finalised.

The price for Vilakazi’s transaction has not been publicised by either Bidvest or Sundowns. Vilakazi will be spending three years with the Sundowns with the option to extend his contract for a further two years if he chooses to.

Vilakazi has been with Bidvest Wits since 2009, and was named footballer of the year for the 2013/2014 PSL tournament.

RELATED ARTICLES: