Wits University’s two ladies’ basketball teams got off to a flying start in this year’s Wits Lady Bucks tournament winning all their matches against visiting teams from around southern Africa.
Playing at home, Wits Buck Ladies (WBL) opened their account with a close 27-20 victory over The Glen High School in court A. The Bucks then brushed aside neighbours Deutsche Schule Johannesburg (DSJ), 45-22.
A second Wits team, the Wits Lady Bucks (WLB) followed suit with another impressive start defeating Soweto Raptors 54-32 in the opening game. They will play their second game tomorrow evening.
21 matches were scheduled on Women’s Day but only 20 took place as the Mozambique versus Phoenix Flames game was postponed to Saturday, August 13.
The tournament, held in honour of women’s month, includes teams from different parts of the southern Africa including Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Swaziland along with local campus teams.
FULL RESULTS: 9 AUGUST
- ATown Ladies 56-14 Deutsche Schule Johannesburg (DSJ)
- Jozi Nuggets 34-40 North-West University (Vaal Campus)
- Griffinz 36-30 Katlehong Pelicans
- Michael Mount Waldorf 65-22 Monash SA
- Deutsche Internationa le Schule 30-49 Lakers Basketball Club Jnr
- ATown Ladies 53-31 The Glen High School
- Chisz Basketball Team 21-24 Katlehong Pelicans
- Katlehong Pelicans 49-11 Monash SA
- Lakers Basketball Club Snr 41-49 VandJ Women’s Basketball
- North-West University 23-30 VandJ Women’s Basketball
- Jozi Nuggets 43-47 Lakers Basketball Club Snr