An entirely new building will be constructed to accommodate the digital arts department’s growing numbers.
Joburg is a multicultural space with a variety of social activities that Witsies should take full advantage of. Wits Vuvuzela chose a few of the many exciting spaces of cultural expression.
- Neighbourgoods Market (Braamfontein), offers foodies craft beers, homemade gin and healthy food! The rooftop area has striking views of Joburg.
- The Locrate Market (Orlando West), happens every first Sunday of the month from 10:00-17:00.
- Market on Main (Maboneng), young and old can indulge on Sundays in modern art, fashion and food.
2. GALLERIES & MUSEUMS
- Wits Arts Museum (WAM), a contemporary space where creatives, entrepreneurs and academics come to enjoy coffee and art.
- JAG (Johannesburg Art Gallery), home to a wide range of artists from the likes of Picasso to our own Gerard Sekoto.
- 1912 Art Gallery (Rockville, Soweto), offers a township perspective of modern art.
- Grayscale Art Gallery (Braamfontein), modern street art that includes graffiti, prints and sculptures.
3. POETRY SHACKS
- Word n Sound (Newtown), hosts talented young poets from all around the country. Invigorating minds and inspiring souls through the power of the spoken word.
- Writers on Main (Maboneng), authors and writing enthusiasts can showcase their works and their creative juices.
4. FASHION BRANDS
- Grimetown (Braamfontein), offers urban street fashion, with custom designs to suit your particular taste.
- Thesis (Mofolo, Soweto), popular and trendy brand, for movers and shakers in & around Soweto
- RHTC onlinestore (national), supercool urban wear, RHTC has got your back!
- The Platform Theatre (Kensington)- An underground space for up and coming performers in Jozi
- Soweto Theatre– 3 stages showcase some of South Africa’s best talent. Their ‘food for the soul’ restuarant offers heart warming meals.
- Wits Theatre– A range of quality productions done by Wits drama students. From here, its the world.
6. MUSIC SESSIONS
- Serenity lounge sessions (Dobsonville, Soweto), soulful lounge music while jamming in a serene space
- Authentic Sunday (Soweto), hip-hop heads will love this authentic space filled with good sound & beautiful people
- The Orbit Live Music & Bistro (Braamfontein), array of live bands, good food & wine and other cultural events
7. TATTOO PARLOURS
- True Black Body Art Studios (Newtown), opened in 2012 and has a mass following of tattoo enthusiasts.
- 1933 Classic Tattoos (Braamfontein), urban space for contemporary artists & designs, with an upbeat vibe.
- Deez Tattoos (Braamfontein), one of the best spots in town to hook up imaginative tattoos for young people.